Thursday, February 10, 2011

Proverbs 31

This year has been so exciting so far. My walk with Jesus has been full and close and I continually pray for it to remain so. In light of this my focus has been directed to the little chapter at the end of Proverbs. This chapter can be daunting in so many ways because the Proverbs 31 woman is amazing. The list given in these verses can be a little overwhelming when you compare them to your own life. 
But it's also been an encouragement to me as well. Why did God choose to include this chapter? Does He want us to follow it verse by verse? 
I truly think God knows what my faults, weaknesses and strengths are. I see this chapter highlighting areas in my own life that I truly need to work on. I am encouraged though to read what a hard working woman she was. 
Being a stay at home mom has been something I have been praying for. I believe my ministry is my family, before others. Given the gift of parenting has been something so precious and good. But my what a big responsibility. 
In light of this thinking, as I read through this chapter I am continually reminded of what I would like to work on in our own family.
Here are a couple verses I have been drawn to:
To be a woman that seeketh wool and flax and works willingly with her hands, sewing, mending. Whether this means sewing to make items in my Etsy shop, or for consignment.
To seek my food from afar. Wow. To me personally this is such a great reminder of what my heart is desiring. Good food. Good nutrition. Healthful meals.
Groceries. Budgets. Nutritional.
Those have been items I have continually tried to find a good balance with. It's tough planning, buying, and preparing meals that are low cost, but high quality (no processed, refined foods). REAL foods.
But it's something that is so important. Our bodies are temples of the Living God. Literally. What we allow into them should be good for us.
Being a mom has only ignited this passion within me even more so. What is Oliver eating? What is it doing to him? What vitamins and nutrients is he getting? Jonah and I should be leading as an example in our own eating habits. 
So this month/year is again one where I will continue to improve upon this. I pray for help with this. I know that even this isn't too small of an item that God will not hear. He hears me always!
I have stepped out and actually invited some mom friends to get together and talk food. I'm excited about this, as we all share what works for us. We have similar desires to provide the best wholesome foods for our families, but within small budgets. 
I have seen that I'm not the only one that struggles with this, and I'm looking forward to what I will learn.


No comments: