Sunday, February 27, 2011

Teething and cleaning...unrelated

Do you see it? That little white bump on his lower gum? It's his first tooth! I'm thankful Oliver wasn't one of those babies that grew a mouthful of teeth at 4 months. Because he nurses I'm grateful it's taken him into month 8 before his first tooth appeared. As I write this he already has the first tooth showing, and is actually suffering through the second little tooth pushing it's way up. Poor guy has been fighting a fever this weekend, awaiting the little tooth. He is growing growing growing all over. He is almost actually 9 months now. How did the past year fly by so fast? It's truly been a delight to watch him grow, and see him in every new stage. He is so much fun now, very VOCAL. So loud! We laugh hearing him talk, and his laughing comes so much easier. His little belly laugh does something to my heart everytime. Oh what joy it is to have a child! I know Jonah and I never imagined it would be this much fun. Truly it's a big responsibility, but worth it. I thought the other day how I would have never thought I would do certain things before having him and now when the question comes up "I have to do THAT?" without a hesitation. You just do what you have to. Example, when Oliver gagged on some new food and threw it up right in front of us. I just made sure he was okay, and cleaned it up. I no longer hesitate to do, I just do.
But I love being a mom. My heart soaks in moments and I only hope to keep them in my memory as the days and years go by.
In light of this, my prayer (and Jonah's) has been asking God for an answer for the upcoming year. We are prayerfully seeking an answer for me to stay at home with Oliver. Along with this, we have also been working on starting up our own business, from which I could do at home. It will be a photography and design business, and it's been slow in organizing, designing and such, but I'm working away on it when I can. I am working towards this with much prayer as well, trusting in God to lead and provide what we need along the way. We have been saving a small amount of money towards this and we'll be buying our equipment in the upcoming months. Yah! It's been a journey to get to this point. I can see how much we have both grown and continue to in photography- even since last year. I believe God has a specific purpose for our talents and I only desire to give them back. To use them for Him. I pray not to be selfish with money, and to remember what is important. What is important to me?
Right now, it's my family. It's not being materialistic. It's getting rid of student loans. It's staying passionate and hungry for the things of God, and His Word. It's helping others. It's being a loving, supportive, and submissive wife. It's being a loving, Godly, mom. It is being Godly, but keeping ME out of it, and allowing GOD into it.
Materialism is something that both Jonah and I have been discussing this year. We desire to NOT be materialistic in every sense of the word. I am looking around our house at so many things we don't use, that just sit and collect dust- for me to wipe off. Really? Who can use these things? I also think of our debt we are working on paying off (so we can be debt free- forever!) and I think what can we sell? Our hearts are both wanting to give. It's soooo rewarding to give, especially when I see so much of what we don't need. But we must get rid of this debt...
Along this line of thought I read about a new challenge one of my blog friends posted called the Simplify Challenge. I thought this would be a good challenge to start myself. Why not? Simplifying my life is exactly what I would love to do. Here's the challenge if you are interested! It's sure to be some good spring cleaning! (also see the button I added to my sidebar)
http://simplemom.net/project-simplify/

Finally, I'll leave you with some family photos.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I'll be joining you to simplify. It's amazing how much "stuff" comes with kids, when you let it. Garage saleing is my crutch.

I will be praying for you I remember how much my heart longed to be home with Chase, and I worked full-time. It wasn't easy since I was the Marketing Manager but I, we prayed and I was able to step down, go part-time and still pay the bills. Now I'm just two days, which are more or less my "out" days. :)

Praying your home business.