Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November already?

cloth diapers!
Has it really been three weeks since I posted? My it's been a crazy November. First foods, cloth diapers, thanksgiving, new niece...and here we are looking at December-tomorrow.
Something about having a baby makes time stand still. At least it stood still for our new little family. The world kept spinning, but we savored each new day together. It was wonderful to be home together for the whole summer. Once we headed back to work it was weird that fall had arrived. Now here we are facing Christmas and I'm amazed at where the last year went.
This Thanksgiving we had so many things to be thankful for. This year has been incredible. God has blessed us unabashedly and I'm so grateful. I know how undeserving I am of even the smallest gift from Him and His generosity is SO great and SO big.
Looking back to last year when I found out I was pregnant started a new way of praying for me. I was scared, for so many reasons. I knew I wanted to be home with our babies when the time came and looking ahead financially I saw no way of this immediately happening. So we prayed. Jonah and I made a list in that first trimester of all the things we needed. We listed even the smallest little thing that mattered to us. Some items; pack-n-play, changing table, bassinet, glider/ottoman, stroller, Dr. Brown bottles, video monitor, nursing pump...and on it goes. We prayed for the delivery, for those that would assist in bringing our son into the world. We prayed and read through a devotional together faithfully. And now I can look at this list and see each item crossed off. In some way God provided for us. It was the neatest thing to see how He did- in so many unexpected ways. Through friends, family and generous loving hands we have been blessed over and over again.
Other things we prayed for- a house to rent, within our same one bedroom apt. rate- and don't you know we are now in a 3 bedroom house that we prayed for? I sit in our glider and ottoman and remember when we found it on Craigslist after a very long 6 month search for one in our price range and in the brand we wanted. I now rock our sweet son in it at night. There are so many things that were given to us I know we have both been overwhelmed.
I'm not posting this to be boastful, not in a worldly sense. But to say how thankful I am that God cares enough to listen to our littlest requests, right down to having maternity clothes ( a friend let me borrow a huge chest of clothes). Why was I afraid? I look at our son and continue to thank God for how good He is to His children.
Meanwhile, back to this month. We entered into the world of cloth diapers. Not that I was planning to do this. I have always cringed at the thought of cloth diapers. The work, the smell. Not appealing to me. But I have friends that love it. I had been researching it for a friend and lo and behold I started to take interest in it. I ended up picking up a couple (thinking all along what am I thinking?). So I washed them, and put them together (pocket diapers) and put them on Oliver. And guess what? By day 2 or 3 of trying them out I realized they aren't all that bad. All those premonitions I had about the horrors of cloth diapering are no longer there. It's really not that bad. It's pretty easy actually. Given this is my first experience, I'd say it's not bad at all. I may post more on this later. But really for the money you are saving, the toxins you are avoiding (the little gel balls that leak out of saturated disposables), and the little bum you are cushioning with luxurious softness, I think it may be worth it.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Good for you on the cloth. My oh my the research I've done but I just can't seem to take the plunge. I absolutely hate laundry and now with an added family member the laundry is that much more and to add dirty, smelly diapers. Oh goodness. Christine even said I can borrow a couple to try it out. Just not there.

And isn't God so great? Praying that someday soon you can be home with little Oliver more. It's amazing how we thought we would go bankrupt without my salary and lo and behold I only work two days now and we have more than we deserve.