Monday, June 7, 2010

Oliver Quinn

Here we are at day 6 of Jonah, I and Oliver. We have been home now for two days- since I we were released on Saturday. What a wonderful thing to be home with our boy! We were soooo ready to be gone from the hospital and from the neverending nurses and such. It was nice to call and get whatever we needed but we were ready to go. Oh yes, our son's name!
His name is Oliver Quinn, and he was born via emergency c-section on June 2 and 2:06 p.m. He weighed in at 7lbs. 10 oz. and was 19.5" long. How do I remember all those details when I can't even remember what I did an hour ago? I think it's that built in mommy radar that will forever record things about our son. Looking back it's crazy how fast everything has happened. I am still receiving pregnancy week emails telling me to prepare for labor and how week 40 is, and it's so funny to me to think we made it through the birth, the big moment we have been counting down for so long. It's so amazing to have our son here with us, and regardless of the fact that I had big plans for a natural birth, God's ways are not always my ways. I am in pain from it, it wasn't an easy little procedure, but I know that this was God's planning all along. Hearing his first cries brought tears to my own eyes-I was finally hearing our son, the waited for little gift! When he was born Jonah was able to take pictures throughout the whole surgery, which I thought would be kinda gory to look at, but I am so glad to watch it all, since they put a sheet up in front of me. I was able to see everything, and he was pulled out of me butt first!  I also did get to experience part of real labor, since I was contracting all morning and reached 3 cent. before surgery. My those pains hurt! After the doctor broke my water it got even worse, and I remember that I couldn't wait for the anesthesia (epidural) to happen so I could get some relief. What a wimp I was! Would I have made it all the way if it was safe for me to naturally deliver? Jonah believes I would have, but it would have been a long hard wait til baby was born! I am so glad that he and I were able to take our birthing classes and be so well informed about everything taking place in labor, it truly eased my mind and fears just about not knowing. My doctor also assured me next time around I could certainly try for a natural delivery again with no problems.
I was thinking all this time that our son needed to turn so he wouldn't be breech and I wouldn't need a c-section, but in the end guess what? It was okay, and he's here safe and sound in our arms and filling our hearts.
We also found out during the c-section that his cord had somehow wrapped around into a huge knot, which may have made a natural birth complicated very quickly. Isn't it amazing how God knew this and perhaps that's why our son never turned- it could have been dangerous for him. Praise God for His ways.


And not to end without some new beautiful pictures, Here is our little Oliver,  which means peace, and my how peaceful he is!

1 comment:

slt said...

Oh my soul! He is so incredibly handsome, Carrie! I am so glad for you that he is here safe and sound! I know I commented on facebook, but I really love his name! So glad not to be in suspense any longer! Give him a little squeeze from me!