Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Learning

Well here we are at about 2 weeks already. Today we had another well visit with the pediatrician and Oliver is doing fabulous. He is over his birth weight now, and he's grown a little over an inch. Already? I didn't know babies grew that fast! We are so happy he's doing so well though and eating plenty. I was concerned about him getting enough to eat since I nurse, but apparently no worries.
What are my thoughts now that we have been with our little boy for two weeks? My where to start.
First of all breastfeeding is really a challenge- and not the latching on part. I was blessed with a good eater and he almost immediately figured out the latching thing. We are still learning but he's doing great. I think just the time it takes and the lack of sleep and the hormone changes are throwing me for a loop. I don't quite feel myself yet- and I am certain it's being tired, somewhat moody, and busy. Busy taking care of him. It is certainly a round the clock thing, which I guess you don't really sit and think about beforehand. Infants are lots of work, but so sweet. We have been waiting to try and schedule him until after he reached his birthweight...so this will be a new challenge!
I'm really learning how to let things 'slide' too. At least not freaking out about the little things, like laundry to be done or cleaning to finish. I think pregnancy prepared me for this- towards the end I didn't feel like doing much. Jonah has been such a help though in all the little things. I am amazed at how well he just took over all the duties I couldn't do. Meals, cleaning, dishes, diaper changes, constantly attending to me and Oliver, I just can't get over how much of a loving help he has been. A c-section has proved to be a lot more recovery time than I anticipated. I guess I didn't really think about it too much, which was a good thing, before I had it done. But I am so thankful that each day I feel stronger and able to do more. The hardest part of everything was not being able to help out as much as I'd like to. But then again, I needed the rest- still do.
I'm finding out that napping is a huge thing on my part. Everyone says sleep when the baby sleeps, and while I don't every time, I have been getting a good solid nap in each day. It's amazing how soundly I can sleep in those hours!
It's so different having a baby at home. No longer are you just two, but three and it changes your world. I love our sweet boy, but I am looking forward to a little more rest! I wonder if that will happen? I am looking forward to so many things in his life too. Like when he will start to laugh or talk back to us, or call us mommy and daddy.
Parenting is a new experience, an unchartered territory, but so much fun too. I love seeing Oliver smile and learn new things, and it's only just begun.

No comments: