Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A little perspective at the dinner table

It had been one of those days for me. The kind that left me feeling weary, and just tired from emotional and spiritual battles.
There were entirely too many me thoughts circling in my brain, aleksandr was fussier than usual, I felt like I accomplished hardly anything, and did I mention there were too many me thoughts?? And by this I mean I was pretty self absorbed today. I knew in my heart I was not letting go of my burdens to the Lord no matter how trivial I thought them.
And then we had dinner together.
Our new nightly routine is to read a passage of Scripture together right there at the table after we've all eaten. Well almost all of us-Oliver tends to be a s.l.o.w eater at dinner.
Well our discussion lead into heaven and how God and Jesus lived there. A brief thought from our son really gave me a new perspective.here was our conversation:

Oliver- Jesus and God come home soon.
Us- Well Jesus is always home, He is always with us and lives in our hearts, but His home (where we will go one day) is in heaven.
Oliver's understanding of all this-I go to heaven too.
Us- Yes, you can go to heaven.
Oliver-Jesus will play cars with I-yuv-er!
Us- Yes, Jesus will play cars with Oliver.

There were more phrases surrounding this but the one thing that I remembered the most was Oliver's childish and pure understanding and acceptance of Who Jesus really is.
My husband gave me an even greater perspective when he said that Oliver wanted to do his favorite thing with Jesus- play with his cars together. The one thing we constantly hear him ask us- "Mommy will play cars? Daddy will play cars?"
I love this for the fact that I should have this same mindset- to want to do my very favorite things with Jesus. My best friend.
Do I even include Him in my day, no matter how menial I think the task, do I talk with Him and include Him in it? Do I go to Him before I make decisions? Do I seek Him out when I am doing something I absolutely love, is He in it?
Sometimes the Lord speaks in the lives of those around us, we just have to listen for it.




No comments: