Tuesday, August 27, 2013

preschool day two

And onward to day two. Routine is key, and I tried to do our school time in the same time block as the time before (during brothers nap). Here is what we worked on today:
Working on writing lines (using the special marker, as Oliver likes to call the dry erase marker he only gets to use for these!). I printed the simple templates from ABCJLM and put them in page protectors (I keep them in my school binder) and let Oliver practice on them. We then did day 2 of creation, gluing down cotton balls for sky and coloring sea below it. Although Oliver didn't want to color after all the fun of using a big bottle of glue was done. That's okay though! He did great learning how to squeeze glue out all by himself.

The night before I searched for some counting ideas for him and found a pin for some ladybug rocks. I was inspired to make my own paper ladybugs and made ladybugs with black dots (numbered 1-12) with leaves that had the matching number on them. Oliver sorted through and found matching leaves after he counted the dots. This was a tough activity for him, I realized after the fact as it was a lot of things to think about. Later I changed it to only 1-5 and let him focus on those, which he did better with. Also, baby brother woke up and wanted to get in on the counting too...pretty sure we wrapped up counting at that point to prevent the lady bugs from being eaten.


We ended the day with threading. I picked these wood shaped blocks with threads at a consignment sale for a great bargain. Oliver didn't know what to do initially but by the end of our day he was threading them without a problem. What a champ! So proud of how quickly he learned this fine motor skill.


No comments: