Wednesday, October 2, 2013

the SAHM.


I have been thinking a lot about what it's like actually being a stay at home mom.
I had a chance to speak with a friend recently about this very thing, and I realized I don't get to stop and think about this very often.
Well, yes, I do think about it often as it is my life day in and day out, but really think about the blessing of it as well as the hard parts.
I'm not sure why I am writing about this but I feel prompted to, and often that prompting is from the Lord saying, "Go ahead, do this!"
Being at home.
Hmm.
I have been home now a little over 2 years. I'm a "new" stay at home mom if you think about it. I don't have years and years under my belt yet. I love to think back to the point that started this all for us. When Jonah and I sought the Lord for an answer and felt clearly that it was a big YES for me to stay home. I wrote about this here.
What is it like to be a stay at home mom? it's a blessing, it's a calling, it's a tremendous gift to me.
Is it hard? yes, there are hard times.
Do you miss other people (adults)?  no, there is freedom to meet and talk with fellow mom's and friends.
Do you miss your job away from home?mm, not so much.
Is it hard to make it on one income? is anything too hard for the Lord? indeed there are sacrifices you make, but He is FAITHFUL to provide where He has called you.

These are typical questions that come to mind, and I had all these questions before I actually was at home.
Now I can think of these questions:
Is there anything else that is more fulfilling? living in the calling God has placed on your life is THE most fulfilling thing. 
Are you receiving blessing upon blessing simply by watching your very own children grow and learn and play and love you? yes, yes, yes.
Is your heart feeling overly full on some days? how can it not?
How do you find that there is more to give on the days you are nearing "empty"? I am reminded God's grace is like an ocean, and fills me up again and again, praise Him for this!
Do you see the heart of God in the daily role of being a mom? Of loving your family? Of doing all you can to make your home a loving, safe, God loving place? over and over.
Are these days going entirely too fast sometimes? yes, yes, yes.
Can you still remember those days out in the world working? yes, still do, but not often.
Do the harder days outweigh the lighter ones? many times over.
Is it worth it?
That last question is really it. Is it worth it? I want to shout out, HOW IS IT NOT????
But I can just quietly say in the blog world, yes.
It is worth it to wake up and have two little ones seeking you to pick them up, to care for them, to love them. To have love given back when you never deserve it. To watch them grow and see into their hearts moment by moment. To teach them what it looks like to love, to serve, to pray, to be a friend, to encourage, to clean, to work hard, to live this life with a heart bent on loving Jesus.
Because I get to be the one that daily shows them a small part of WHO Jesus is, and what His heart is, even if I know I fail again and again. I get to be the one to sing with them and cheer for them and laugh with them over silly,silly things, and I love it. 
So I say if you are questioning yourself about being a stay at home mom, I am reminded again to say that God is faithful in every single doubt and fear you have. If He has placed a calling in your own heart for this, He will provide, and get ready to have your heart filled up and overflowing. 
It's worth it.  

2 comments:

Anglican Mama said...

Oh my goodness, this blessed my heart so much. I found your blog because we have "motherhood" in common, but was excited to see we have other things in common too!

I'm also a SAHM, still a beginner. And the Lord has been showing me these same joys in my daily duties, and daily beauty in my girls. Yes, there are sacrifices and frustrations--as in ANY mission field/calling. But there are eternal, fulfilling, beautiful rewards in being where He intended you right now.

If I'm able to post what the Lord had put on my heart, I would love to link to this post if that's okay. More Moms need to be encouraged and reminded of the gospel in this way. :)

carrie said...

Thanks Jen! I pray that other women who are fearful of taking this step would be encouraged by my own story. I can see the Lord's faithfulness clearly in my everyday as I look over the past couple years and it is SO awesome.
You can link to this post if you'd like :) It's so nice to find like minded friends :)