Saturday, June 6, 2009

getting to milk

I didn't realize it's been a few days since I've posted. Jonah and I have been busy with life, as you know how it goes. Summer days shouldn't go so fast! 
We have actually started a new exercise program working with trainers at a chiropractic/training/nutritional place. We had them come to the school one day and give us free evaluations of our posture and spine alignment. After that we ended up making appointments to go visit their office and finish our evaluations. I already knew I had bad posture but after hearing how it affects my overall health was really enough for both of us to make the decision to work hard and get into shape-literally. This doctors office is different from a stand alone chiropractor. They offer training to help you do exercises geared towards your specific weak areas. What was interesting to me was the fact that when you do have poor posture (and all the pain that goes with that) your body tries to compensate for the weak area by working even harder in the areas you are using...overall just keeping those weak muscles even more weak. I have always wanted to work hard to be in shape, but I never really felt motivated enough (I know I'm such a lazy butt). Having one on one training with professionals has been such a good experience so far, and the best thing about it all is that Jonah and I are doing it together. We are learning important exercises and stretches to strengthen our overall bodies, to pull our posture back into shape, but also eliminate pains from all the strain of bad habits. We purchased exercise balls, and I learned there is a difference between the kind you buy, you need to buy thick heavy ones that don't burst but leak air if punctured, and make sure they are large enough for your frame. I am about 5'5" and I fit a 55 cm ball, I had an old one I bought a year ago that was about half the size, and completely wrong for me. 
I am excited to exercise again but to know I am doing things for my specific weak areas is really exhilarating, even if it is painful! It's been my personal goal to be healthier this year and we are making our way down that path. My next and forever goal is to be more nutritionally healthy. What a daunting task it is to take the world's knowledge of nutrition and put it in a nice little package for me to understand. It's kind of like the old saying "how do you eat an elephant?".... one bite at a time. It's the same with slowly learning about foods and what is good for what. 
Along with this I am really focusing on growing my etsy shop as time allows. Right now I have had more time to put an effort towards it as the summers are slower work weeks than the falls. I'm praying for guidance in that area as I gradually work on it. I love etsy though for the reason there is no pressure involved. It's really what you put into it is what you have time for.
I'm also focusing more on prayer this month, it's something I can easily slip out of.  And I don't mean praying in general but focused times of prayer. 
We are going through a lot of big changes in our life with our goals focused on some large hurdles. But I am encouraged in the Lord, and what He is capable of doing. 
I made a chart to track our journey to becoming debt free and on it I listed several quotes that I wanted to share with you out there, may they be an encouragement with whatever journey your life is taking you, and may you too find encouragement in the Lord. 

"Everything comes to him who waits, if he works while he waits."

"It is not he who has little, but he who wants more who is poor."

"We cannot do everything at once but we can do something at once."

and my favorite...

"Patience...in time the grass becomes milk."

2 comments:

kauffeegrl said...

Great thoughts, sista. Keep up the good work! :-)

Julia said...

Ha! I like that last quote. I'll never think of milk quite the same again.

I'm right there with you, trying learn what I can when I can about eating and living healthy. Thanks for sharing what you've learned.