Friday, June 12, 2009

Proverbs


This year has proven to be a learning experience in managing a budget and spending only what we have placed in our budget each month. It's been such a relief to know what we have for each category. No longer do we feel guilty when we induldge in something like clothing purchases or eating out with friends. Knowing what we have to spend before we go out has kept us on track. But it isn't always easy. Our goal is focused on paying off our debt which for us includes student loans + car payment. We are chipping away at it little by little.
Working on our dave ramsey debt snowball is fun because as you pay off one thing you take that money and put it towards your next debt- the result is a snowball that gets bigger and bigger until you are left with no debt and all that extra money to put towards, well whatever you want in the end. (probably a house for us)
However throughout this we have been finding some bumps in the road, extra money we were counting on doesn't come through for some reason on a few different occasions. It's disappointing that's for sure and leaves us wondering why? I tend to get a little down when things fall through the cracks, especially when it comes to extra money, because I would like to see our debt diminish quickly- which would allow us to move into the next phase of our lives.
But I have found that you have to remain content where you are no matter what comes up, learn what God is teaching you WHERE YOU ARE. Wow right?
I read this verse this morning and it helped keep things in perspective. Money really isn't important- seeking out God's wisdom is. How often in my life have I put things and money in front of God? I have things I would love to buy....who doesn't right? But what matters isn't really our earthly possessions but our time after our journey here on earth. Heavenly things....
So what am I doing to make a difference for eternity?
A challenge for me definitely. My heart is filled with knowledge of Christ, He is the only one that leaves the peaceful joy my soul longs for. Why do I let myself get so caught up in things?

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I really needed this post. It is so easy to get caught up in worldly possessions. Decorating, clothes, toys and the list goes on. But then I must realize how much I already have. I continue to "stress" about cutting my income in half but then I look at my precious baby boy and know we can do it. But we must stay on our budget and it can be difficult. I will be praying for you and your journey. It will be well worth it in the end.