Monday, September 14, 2009

Books on nutrition

A fellow blogger friend asked me if I recommend any books on nutrition and health. I wanted to suggest a few for those interested. One book that I picked up at the library (and just recently reserved again for pickup) is a really interesting and thorough read about nutritious foods that are 'super' as well as overall health tips, called SuperFoods Healthstyle by Steven Pratt. I looked up his name on Amazon and found he's written several books. Very good resource, but keep in mind it's a thick one, so take what you can, and like me, you may need to reserve it a few times at the library.







Another book I like I actually own. It's a fabulous book with some really yummy recipes and I have yet to try so many of them. But I have found it to be a pretty good read with helpful content and lovely pictures and it's designed really well (always a HUGE plus for me the design nerd). It is called Body Foods for Busy People:
















And while I am not there yet, she also has two more books for babies and kids that look fabulous:
You may be able to find these by Jane Clarke at the library- I'd try there first, then Amazon. I know I ended paying premium price (I almost never buy books at full price, I like to shop for deals or use coupons at book stores) for my copy of Body Foods, but in the end it almost made me more determined to utilize it all the more. I'll try to include any more books if I find time to peruse some. I really do enjoy learning about what is good for me, and it can be kind of nerdy I know, but to me it's so interesting learning about what foods have in them and what they do to you. Did you know eating spinach can help lift your mood? Plus, it's loaded with vitamins and fiber that are oh so important for you. Blueberries are another great super food full of antioxidants- great for cold and flu season.
It's so much fun and a little empowering when you realize what foods do to you!
Happy reading, I hope this helps!

1 comment:

kauffeegrl said...

So funny that you should post that tonight: I just got the book from Jennifer that she sent me called "Perfect Weight" by Jordan Rubin. So far it's awesome, but she had expained some of it to me on the phone. If I like it, I may look for a copy for you. Maybe you've already read it? It's about living healthy as a lifestyle, not just "dieting" and incorporating good fats with fiber and carbs, bascially, the way God intended us to eat. He's got some really interesting statistics in there about how and when this country really started to use preservatives, sugars, etc. in our foods. Almost a 1/4 of them have been added since the early 90's.