Saturday, September 12, 2009

Thoughts on nutrition

My dear sister is embarking on a new journey- that of good health and good food choices. I am proud of her for making this decision. It's something that is close to my heart since I too have been on this road for a little while. It is definitely a choice you have to come to on your own, no amount of pushing or prodding from anyone else can make you decide to be healthier. I think for me it was the way I felt, hormonally as well as physically. I mentioned a while back that I had suffered from different health problems, which with different options in food, corrected some of these issues for me. Exercise also aided in helping me achieve a healthier, feeling better lifestyle. And when I let one of those areas go it is certainly reflected in how I feel and act.
My sister's post was titled 'Learning how to eat' and I can relate to that. It is truly learning how to eat- correctly.
The more I learn about what is healthy for us and what foods do to us, I am appalled at the food that we as a general mass go to for our meal choices. The preservatives, salt, sugar and processed content in most meals is enough to make your head spin. For some reason, from the days of Moses to our time in history we have developed these fast, easy foods that are basically of no nutritional value. Then we wonder why we are suffering from so many disorders, and pains and diseases.
I guess it's been a huge awakening to me over the past year. Granted I am not where I would like to be as far as our meal choices. In a perfect world we would have an unlimited budget and be able to afford everything organic, or as natural as we can get, and all of our meals would be from scratch.... But I have to work with what we have to the best of my ability. I believe this is what God has given me responsibility for in our home.
I do make mostly all of our meals- maybe not all from scratch, but I read what and why the foods I pick will be in our meals.
Okay I think I can go on and on, it's a topic I am passionate about. Not to say I am a natural- granola- earth loving- tree hugger. No way, I am just conscientious of our diet, and overall health. I think this is being a good steward not only in our budget, but our lives.

2 comments:

kauffeegrl said...

You're right, using our money for purposes that will better our temples is being a good stewart. If we were to stop and calculate the cost of the medicine that we would need to take to counteract the results of eating wrong for so long, I think that spending a little more in the grocery store on better choices is a far less waste of money. I did tell TJ I wouldn't take away his Pepsi, though! LOL Not that he couldn't just go and but it for himself.

Dawn said...

can you recommend some books that you've been reading. I've been really good with Chase but since he has decided to be picky on the textures he eats it has been a little more difficult. I do read the ingredients on everything I give him but it's difficult not to give him some peanut butter crackers to snack on.

Either way I want myself to work on eating better and cutting out processed foods.

So anything you can recommend would be great.