Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thrush, the dreaded stuff


Okay so it's been a while since I've been here. Life has been busy, and thats my excuse. We have been out to visit family, had a friend stay overnight, shot some newborn photo-shoots, watched our sweet little turn 3 months, joined up a small group Bible study on Wednesday nights, and all the other ordinary in between stuff that makes life tick.
I am just coming off of a sugar/bread fast that I was on for the last week. Sweet Oliver had thrush for the past month and in an effort to thwart off the nasty stuff I put myself on a no sugar no yeast diet, and I added organic live cultured plain greek yogurt to my daily diet. First off, sugar is in everything it seems...yeast is in almost as much, and the yogurt kind of makes me gag a little.  I never realized how much I was craving or eating the processed white sweetness. I still stuck to fruits for natural sugar, but I swear I've never been faced with so many tempting goodies. I had just finished baking apple danish (right next to the brownies) when I started my fast. So I looked at them longingly for the past week....not to mention the Ben and Jerry's we have stashed in the freezer, which I haven't touched yet. It took some willpower to say no! And this included fudgy frosted cake and homeade icecream over Labor Day weekend.
But I did it, and tonight I ate a piece of apple danish.
However it has taught me a lot, like how much sugar I actually eat in a day, and how I really need to cut back, and hopefully replace with more natural sweeteners, like honey. It's amazing how yeast in your body can produce so many bad things, starting with your gut, bowels, etc.
I have been able to tell a difference in my overall moods being even (no highs or lows from sugar rush), my stomach has never felt better, including my bowels (tmi?), this in part from lack of processed sugar, and the live cultures in the yogurt. Amazing stuff.
I think I'll have to do this more often, and start cutting down sweets regularly. Funny thing is that once you get past the hump of craving sweets (you do desperately in the beginning because of the yeast in your body wanting it, yeast feeds on sugar) you kind of mellow out and get used to eating healthier foods and fruits. Willpower. Thats all I can say.
And Oliver is doing great, and I don't see signs of thrush now. He's still finishing up his medicine but I'm happy to no longer see it in his mouth.

Meanwhile, we have had the privilege of doing two newborn shoots recently. Here are some shots from them:
sweet little Ella

pretty little girl, only 5 lbs.
tiny little doll


johnny was a big boy at almost 10 lbs.




Johnny

1 comment:

kauffeegrl said...

Hey I just left a long comment, and then I realized my computer was acting retarded. I'll send you an e-mail