Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Daily reading

I have a daily devotional emailed to me at my work email. Today's was a good reminder to me to continue to read the Word daily. I have always struggled with finding the right 'devotional'. Whether it's a book of insightful daily blurbs, or a thorough study guide, I have never really found one that was wonderful or that kept me interested consistently. I finally just decided to keep it simple and only read from the Bible. Sometimes it's a chapter, sometimes more. But I am slowly just reading through one book at a time. I'm in the New Testament and I started in Galatians. I am now in 1 Timothy. I have also made it my prayer to have a desire and passion for the Word. This alone is important, because it's hard to make yourself passionate about it. I believe God is showing me so many things through His word lately and I can say for once I feel like I'm retaining more than I ever have. I almost don't want to say that because I know Satan hates to know we are learning and growing in God's precious Word.
But today I didn't take the time to read and I read over my daily devotional and was again reminded how important it is to slow down and make time.
Here is a portion from it:

George Müeller is someone most all Christians have heard about. The stories of his faith and prayer have taught many the importance of believing God’s ability to provide. Yet few note his diligence in studying God’s Word. He wasn’t simply a man who prayed and saw God’s blessings, but a man who spent time with God and developed a close relationship with God through studying His Word. Müeller had the following to say about his time studying the Bible:


“I look upon it as a lost day when I have not had a good time over the Word of God. Friends often say, ‘I have so much to do, so many people to see, I cannot find time for Scripture study.’ Perhaps there are not many who have more to do than I. For more than half a century I have never known one day when I had not more business than I could get through. For 4 years I have had annually about 30,000 letters, and most of these have passed through my own hands. Then, as pastor of a church with 1,200 believers, great has been my care. Besides, I have had charge of five immense orphanages; also, at my publishing depot, the printing and circulating of millions of tracts, books, and Bibles; but I have always made it a rule never to begin work until I have had a good season with God and His Word. The blessing I have received has been wonderful.”

2 comments:

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

I think we are in the same boat. It was as if I wrote your post. And that last paragraph was a slap in the face about time.

It's amazing how we say we never have "time" but can sit in front of the TV for an hour. Sad. And with two little ones, my time seems even more far gone, as you can see from my blog.

I have been reading, attempting to read "the One Year Bible" which breaks all the chapters of the Bible into easy daily reading. It is so great and easy to read. There is always a mix of Old Testament, Psalms, New Testament and Proverbs. It is really a great Bible for devotions.