Wednesday, October 8, 2008

women in the workforce

We just walked through the door tonight after a pretty long day. Wednesdays are always long days because we go straight to church after work. I was thinking how exhausted I was and I still had things that needed to be put away, cleaned, folded ect. The thought crossed my mind 'would if we had children too?' and that lead me to think "How in the world do women work all day 5 days a week and take care of a family with 2+ children as well?" It is so exhausting physically and mentally working all day, there is a lot of effort that goes into talking and interacting with other people all day and juggling your workload, then coming home to tackle what needs to be done there- dinner, cleaning, togetherness with your husband....so throw in having kids too and it leaves me to wonder, how in this day and age women balance EVERYTHING. Granted you do come home and finish what has to be done, then you do what is needed for everyone else, where is there that time of renewal, to help you feel like you are ready to go again the next day.
I don't know... a small revelation to me tonight. Do I want to have kids? Oh yes, I'm excited about our future family, but at the same time I feel so strongly about staying home to raise them. Maybe I am just weak for feeling I don't have the energy to work all week and have the same amount of work at home. I want to be able to really be there for our kids without feeling so drained and short from being with so many other people all day. 
Just random thoughts I am thinking, but also something that makes me pray all the more for the future and for God to work out a way for us to be able to have me at home. 

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hi Carrie, it's Dawn (DeRycke) Salatino. I noticed your blog on Laura's facebook. I just wanted to comment on your entry about being a mom and working, it really spoke to my heart.

Brad and I finally made the decision to have kids and now have a beautiful 5 month little boy. We waited so long because I wanted to finish my degree, start a career and be financially ready for children. We also waited so that we can be financially ready for me to be a full-time mom. Well, the finances never came, it's always seems the more you make the more you spend. I've been back at my full-time job for two months now while I regrettingly take my beautiful child to daycare. Grant it she's family but it's still day care. I envy and sometimes resent the ladies that are paid to watch my child and get to spend 8 or more hours with him.

When it comes to taking care of your child, husband, house...you just find the strength. It's how God made women special. Sometimes you're the energizer bunny even when you only had a few hours of sleep. My house isn't alwasys the tidiest but that's what Saturday mornings are for, I just hope somedays that Pastor doesn't decide to stop by. I was once told...you can clean when your kids grow up. There only little for so long. We're already talking about giving Chase a sibling and working hard to make it possible for me to work part-time. I love my job and still want to work some.
Sorry for such a long comment but I know your exact fears. You just have to decide to do it. God always provides. But from how my heart feels and longs to with my boy, do try to work part-time if you can. No money or career is as important as your child. I just hold and cuddle him all night while the clothes sit in the basket, Brad just gets his t-shirts from the basket instead of the dresser. :)

God bless.