Friday, November 14, 2008

tag after tag


Well I woke up pretty tired today.
There is a sale at school today- you can bring your own goods and sell your own products. I thought it would be a good opportunity to really market my children's gift tags. I knew it would take time to have them printed, hand trim them and thread them with string. I have never made such a large quantity of them either. I didn't realize how labor intensive they are when they are in a huge quantity! I am so thankful for the help of my husband. He was right there next to me trimming and pain stakingly hole punching them to the point of making his hand bleed! What a loving man to work so hard with me. I ended up finishing nearly all of the tags I had printed. They look great too.
My hope is that today I do sell some, but also drum up business for future sales. Any extras I will post and sell on my etsy site.
Someone asked me when and why I had decided to do them. A few months ago when I was in between jobs I had time to work on something I love- illustrating. I had seen Etsy due to a mutual friend that had posted her goods to sell on the site. It started me thinking about my own illustrations and what I could do to sell them- to see how it went.
I feel like the Lord was leading in me in a small way, because it was literally within a few days after I had posted some items that I had someone contact me for a custom order. It may not have been a HUGE amount of money that I made from that order, but it was so gratifying to make and sell my own goods- and to be able to add income to our household. What a rewarding feeling. Someday when we start our own family I would love to be able to be with our kids at home. I feel like this is a way I could produce income and also be so gratifying. I don't know what the future holds or if this is the direction I will someday go- I am trusting God to lead me along the way, and praying for Him to bless my efforts for trying so hard!
It's so exciting to find something you are passionate about, enjoy doing, and also find it to be rewarding. I'm thankful for what God has allowed me to learn to get to this point-as an artist and creative thinker. Who knows where it will go from here? I only pray not to lose my passion, as it's easy to lose your way as you get older and busy.
Meanwhile I will keep on painting, drawing, and reading and studying children's books.

1 comment:

kauffeegrl said...

So cute-I love elephants! Did you do any hippopotamus's(sp?)You know-"I wanna hippopotomus for Christmas.."I love that song