Friday, November 14, 2008

A poem I found

I read this online and found it to be so true to my own desires.

God, give each true good woman 
Her own small house to keep,
No heart should ache with longing,
No hurt should go too deep...
Grant her age-old desire;
A house to love and sweep.
Give her a man beside her,
A kind man,  and a true,
And let them work together
And love, a lifetime through,
And let her mother children
As gentle women do.
Give her a shelf for dishes,
And a shining box for bread,
A white cloth for her table, 
And a white spread for her bed,
A shaded lamp at nightfall, 
And a row of books much read.
God, let her work with laughter,
And let her rest with sleep.
No life can truly offer
A peace more sure and deep...
God, give each true woman
Her own small house to keep.
–Grace Noll Crowell–1934

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi Carrie! It's me, Katie Cialini (use to be VerPlank). I found your blog a few weeks ago through someone...I forgot! It's so nice to find someone from "the good old days", you know, when we were younger and had no responsibilities! I just love this poem you found. Sometimes I wish life was that simple. It's a good reminder of how things should be! Well, take care and I will check in with you later!