Friday, December 4, 2009

Savoring the Holidays

I've been so caught up in getting things done, and scratching off my imaginary list that I somehow forgot to slooowww downn, this time of year. Every year I love this time- the magical, wonderful part of the year when we remember what our Lord did for us all those years ago, the infectious spirit of giving, the remembrance of all we have (and how abundantly blessed) in our lives. Before you know it Christmas is here, then it's done. Just like that I seem to let time slip by and I am left with a somehow empty handed, empty hearted feeling.
I don't want to feel that way- I don't want this time to slip by and miss the chance to do something for another, to savor the holiday music, to turn off the t.v., turn up the tunes, and enjoy decorating for the season. Really savor time with those I love, cherish the time together with Jonah- because who knows what next year will bring? It will be different, in it's own way.
And I don't want to miss the now, the memories of each day that this year is bringing.
So my plan for now is not to hurry around and shop for the last Christmas gifts, filled with worry that I can't find the 'perfect' thing- but to slow down and savor what this holiday brings.
Thanking Jesus for how truly blessed we are in every area of our lives. Listening to holiday tunes with my sweetheart, popping some corn and drinking cocoa. Wrapping the gifts with a purpose and taking my time. Remembering and praying for each person the gifts are going to. Taking time to just enjoy the Christmas lights, the decor that is all around us. And loving those close to me- the precious people God has given to me.
Let me not miss the moments Lord.

No comments: