Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cereal Savings


We had a nice night together, my dear husband and I. We went on a date! We had some Chic-fil-a, watched a movie (the Blind Side) which was really good, then on our way home headed to Krogers, a local grocery store.
Why stop there? Because I had coupons!
I've recently gotten into couponing, to save us money, and help with our budget. Food can be- well IS, so expensive. Coupons are a great way to save some money, but they are also a way to use sales to your advantage- not the stores.
I really got into couponing after talking to some ladies at work who are gung ho about it. Their the serious ones- the one that save 50% on their groceries, the ones who constantly take home 'free' food. I think they've inspired me to try harder. And why not? To save us money, and help us have more food stocked up?
I'm not going to turn into a fanatic mind you, but I have to tell you about a sale we recently had at Kroger. It was a sale on cereal- Kellog's brand. The store offered a 50% off special for today on select Kellog's brand cereals. I know it's not the healthiest choice, but I like to eat it when were rushed in the morning or a snack at night. So back to the sale- they had a sale for 50% off, my friend at work told me about a coupon online for $5 off when you buy 4 boxes of Kellog's cereal. Well on top of printing that coupon and having other Kellog's coupons in my coupon file, we really made out. The only thing I was concerned about was the 4 w/$5 off because it was actually a Target coupon. (did you know Target even has coupons?) Well, it said manufacturers coupon which I read should apply to any store, and if the cashier fusses at you talk to a manager. So we get in line with our 7 ( yes SEVEN) boxes of cereal- the 4 for $5 and three others I specifically had coupons for around .75 cents off, and waited for the cashier to ring up our coupons. (all this with the 50% off deal) Well the cashier gets to the Target one and say's "um this is Target", and I say, "yes, but it's a manufacturers coupon", pointing to the little part that says just that. He kind of mumbled and said "well I'll see if the system will take it". To which , thank the Lord, it did.
Altogether we walked away with 7 boxes of cereal for $7.62.
Wow, we've never had cereal for so cheap! I felt like we somehow won the system!

No comments: