Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Teaching...well kind of

It was not so bad.
Really rather easy.
Well...I say that kind of jokingly because it was easy for me being a sub, not a teacher. Being the teacher means you are the one preparing everything for the class, being the sub means you are the one following what the teacher already prepared. And any nervousness I felt was eased after much prayer. I know God was with me, and continues to be.
Yesterday for my first class, my husband graciously went in with me to introduce me and lay down some rules for the kids seeing how they were a more 'energetic' class. Having him there that first day helped tremendously and I found my confidence.
And it really is more like watching than it is teaching. I'm there to help if needed but for the most part the kids are working on projects at their own pace.
Today was day two and it went well. Only a couple more days! And Oliver is doing great, as he was at home today with a friend to watch him. What a blessing it is to have friends available to watch our little guy. They may not realize it but what a help they are to us! I made one of my friends one of my latest projects that I'm selling on Etsy- barrettes. And I plan to make another one for my other friend that is watching Oliver. I love how they are turning out and I have sold one so far,  which is exciting- thank you God for each little drop in the bucket! You can see them here if you'd like to check out what I've posted so far. I have plans to make more, but we'll see how that goes. This week has been busy with me working and we plan to go visit family over the weekend so I don't know how ambitious I can be with adding new projects to my list.
I also had a chance to finish another fabric toy for a friend that just had a baby girl. This time I added a jingle bell in it so that it jingles along as you pick it up or roll it. I love how this one came out! Here's a photo of the ball:



























I have really enjoyed making things with my hands. There is something about touching fabrics and seeing the colors come together right before you eyes that is very satisfying. It makes me wonder if I would have done better in school if I had been taught with more visual, hands on examples.
I also wonder if Oliver will learn better with books and words or with shapes and colors. A visual learner like me? Or a very disciplined scholar like his daddy?
I hope to provide a well rounded education for him either way, and I'm not sure if that means homeschooling or not. We have yet to make that decision.
Either way, I am loving all the creative projects as of late and I'm still seeking God for balance with my time. I've found that the evenings (when Oliver is in bed) are usually a good time to work on fabric things as I have to take out a huge container of items that little hands would love to get into.
I'm not sure where this newfound/evolving hobby will go. Maybe nowhere! Maybe it's just a hobby.
I do know I love making gifts for others. It's so much fun to watch them open a gift you know you spent hours on, and you know that they will really appreciate. So satisfying.
I better go for now, even though I put Oliver down for a later nap today (grocery shopping after work, so it was a long day) I can hear him talking and kicking and moving all over in his crib. Someone is not taking a nap, that's for sure! Oh dear, I hope he isn't outgrowing his second nap already!!

No comments: