Monday, September 16, 2013

Preschool Week 4, day 3

Day three.
We started with routine things, then moved onto a little review of our Bible story (Adam and Eve). I had Oliver color a printout from ABCJLM of Adam and Eve. He colored a little, but not much. Coloring is just not his thing. I've introduced him to it over and over again, but he has yet to really get into it. Maybe he just won't, maybe he will later. Either way, it's okay. I love exploring different creative things with him and seeing what makes him excited.
So far, I know he loves using the glue by himself.
Using his own scissors is exciting for about 5 minutes.
Searching games are up there in his list of favorite activities (searching for colors, letters).
And getting his hands messy, or building/playing in stuff. Like play-doh, play sand, dirt etc.
I guess that's a boy for you. We finished our flag today! The final thing to add were the stars, so Oliver was thrilled to squeeze out gobs  a small amount of glue for the stars. Can we say hurray for finishing the flag? It only took us well over a week :).















OH, I also wanted to add that we are now including the pledge of allegiance into our routine things. I forgot to post that along the way...so there it is.

We moved onto some practice with line drawing. I have these cute printouts that have different lines (curvy, straight, spikey) from little campers to a tent. I love them because they are perfect for Oliver, who loves outdoor things (like his daddy) and was excited to make a path to the tents. I wish I could remember where I printed them from. If I find the link I'll post it. {okay I just found the link and it's here. Great site for free printables!}



























We did a little counting after that.



























And I found time to organize all my printables I had stored up over the past year, so I pulled out an old  sequence printout. I remember Oliver was frustrated with these when we tried them months ago. Sequence is a hard thing to learn and it was just too early for him to understand. He did a little better this time, but I'll let him try them again soon to see how he thinks through it. I cannot remember where I printed these from either :/ But it's easy enough to search for "sequence" printables at sites like, Homeschool Creations or 1+1+1.




























We moved onto a puzzle I had printed out a while back. Since Oliver loves puzzles I thought he might enjoy this one, but it was pretty much a fail. It's a tough puzzle. Because all the pieces are square, it's hard to know what goes where. Also the way the pieces and art of the actual puzzle are, it's tough to know what direction which puzzle piece is supposed to go and where they go. I think I'll look for a different puzzle for him, with a picture that has lots of different colors on it.


























We ended our school time at that point. BUT later that day I had a fun project planned for Oliver. I looked up science for preschool on Pinterest and found a popular post about mixing vinegar and baking soda. I was inspired to try it for our own science time. I also had the notion to do this while I was getting dinner ready. For some reason, the time period from about 4-5ish in the evening is the worst time of day for crankiness. From both boys.
Having an activity that thoroughly captivated him was a huge plus! I didn't know how long this would interest Oliver but I was amazed at the length of time he played with it.
Here's the simple recipe for it:

Vinegar and Baking Soda Science
White distilled vinegar
food coloring
baking soda
muffin tin
medicine dropper
cookie sheet pan
muffin tin

Pour vinegar into your muffin tin. Drop in food coloring, mix whatever colors you'd like.
Dump baking soda onto a cookie sheet pan. Let your little one pick up vinegar with the dropper and drop out onto the baking soda. Easy.



















Oliver did have a hard time figuring out the dropper. It was a process to squeeze, release, carry over to the tray and sqeeze out. It was a great fine motor skill exercise for him. I'll have him work on it some more another time because in the end he had abandoned the dropper for his fingers. Which was okay.
He was mixing up all sorts of things and told me all about them, "I'm making pancakes!, I'm making muffins mommy! I'm making a pizza..." Oh that boy makes me laugh!


No comments: