Saturday, August 15, 2009

nutrition

My it's been a while since I've posted. I guess we have busy. Well I know we've been busy. School started back and that alone has kept us working away from morning til evening. On top of that I was recovering from my dental surgery. I ended up needing more pain medication after the bliss of the first round wore off...I'm not a big advocate of medicine in general because it usually effects me so strongly, but it was more pain and grumpiness than I cared to deal with. So after two days of pain meds I was finally feeling better and able to handle regular food instead of the soft diet. I think that made my week tiring, along with the pile of projects and deadlines that seem to grow in a few days time back at work.
But we have also made some healthy lifestyle changes. We met with one of our trainers who is also a nutritionist and discussed ways to improve our eating habits. We have been working out pretty consistently and are ready to move into the nutritional side as well.
We kept a food diary for three days to record when and what we ate, and shared that in our appointment. It was pretty amazing to see how little protein we have incorporated into our diet, as well as fats- good fats. Breaking down food into three groups, fats, carbs, and protein is what will help with meal plans. We all need some of each in every meal, but the right quantities. Our goals are a little different than some, opting to gain a little weight along with overall strengthening. A lot of people need to lose weight, fortunately we are both high metabolism people.
It's a new challenge for both of us and we are excited to take it on. I have had an increasing interest in general health and nutrition of the past few years so I'm excited to finally embark on it along with Jonah! I realized in the past I couldn't make him be excited and go for it with me, so it was kind of hard to get on the bandwagon. Now we are both making this decision together, which is pretty awesome.
The human body is amazing, and learning about what it needs to repair and regenerate itself is mind boggling. I never realized how much your moods and hormones can be effected by lack of complex food groups in your body. We need to take care of our bodies, but doing so reaps so many rewards in overall health.
I'll let you know if I discover anything significant, or maybe you would rather not hear about all this nutritional stuff. I just find it fascinating.
Now onto exercise. Sigh, no one ever said it was easy, but I know I will benefit from it in the long run.

No comments: