Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hospital visit

So last night we made a trip to the hospital. We were practicing for the real thing...not really. I have been having lots and lots of Braxton Hicks lately and at night they seem to pick up even more frequently. On our last doctor visit I mentioned this to my doctor and she said if I'm having more than 4-5 in an hour to call. She doesn't mess around with any complications in a pregnancy! So I monitored them last night and was averaging around 9 per hour. Strong ones too, like a hard tight ball. So I didn't want to have to go to the hospital but I called our office and she said 'go to the hospital- labor and delivery in the triage center'. So that's what we did.
Now we haven't had our hospital tour yet to familiarize ourselves with triage and delivery and where everything was located, so it was interesting that we kind of had this 'dry run' to see how long it takes to get there (if he was to come at night) and where to go, what to do etc. So that in itself was helpful. I ended up getting registered, changing into a gown, getting a fetal monitor strapped on and a couple of tests done, and just hung out in a room with Jonah. Of course we didn't bring anything with us to do, like read or watch. We didn't realize we'd be there for a couple hours- that's how long one of the tests took.
The longer I sat there the more I started to not relax, thinking 'would if he came tonight? I'm only at 32 weeks (almost 33), and we don't have a carseat', and on and on.
So after all the waiting and testing and two shots later (medicine to stop contractions) they finally stopped and my tests came back good, not dehydrated (I've really been chuggin), no dialation, and no pre-term labor. Praise the Lord.
So in the end it was interesting to be there, kind of like testing the waters, and it was nice to hear his heartbeat and his strong little movements for a couple hours. It was so funny to hear him, you could hear every little kick and turn and twist. He is definitely an active baby. I feel him move so much stronger now and so often it makes me laugh.
I am trying to take it a little easier. Even though my mind runs to places of all the things to be done, I'm learning to listen to my body, my baby and my husband!! My husband is the love of my life and he was wonderful throughout this, trying to help me not focus on my nerves and taking time to just massage my arms and legs and just hang out with me as we watched the clock. I guess all those checkups at the doctors have prepared us for last night- at least the waiting part. We always have a good amount of time to just wait in the office. But in the end, I'm praying for these contractions to settle down at least for another few weeks! I'm so thankful for the Lord's protection throughout this, and I'm excited to meet this little guy and tell him one day how eager he was to come meet us!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

So thankful that it was not the real thing, he has a lot more growing to do and in mommy's belly. Take it easy and try not to stress...about anything, baby's sense that.

I was having pretty good braxton hicks the other day but I think I was just doing too much. It takes a lot to prepare, even for a 2nd one.

Praying that baby fisher relaxes a bit along with mommy.

But it is interesting to see what happens when you do go into labor, for the most part.