Thursday, September 25, 2008

Airfare

It's that time of year again, to start thinking about traveling plans.....ugh. I miss my family and it's sad that we can't afford the airfare to fly to NY more often, but it's just ridiculous how much of a ripoff the flights are. If we were rich and had our own plane that would be one thing. I think paying the price to travel is always going to be something I dislike. Maybe I am being cheap? I don't know I just can't justify the $100's of $'s it takes to get from point A to B. I guess it doesn't help that we have driven the last two years to NY. In fact now that I think about it, the overall cost of driving and hotel was probably getting close to what we are spending now on airfare.hmm.
I did enjoy our road trips though. They are always fun because you get to watch the world pass you by through the car window, and you have the luxury to stop and take in sights if you have the whim to do so.
Flights are a different experience altogether.
Arrive at the airport, find parking, drag your suitcase and overly-stuffed-shoved-together-at-the-last-minute-carryon-that leaves a nice welt on your shoulder, into the long line of restless holiday travelors, sure to be with their family full of small children that are just as grumpy (but much more antsy) as their parents. Then you proceed to check in your baggage (after dragging it through the security line to be checked) and then you start your trek to the gate. Finally when your plane starts to board, if your fortunate enough for it leave on time(which does manage to happen sometimes) you may be the lucky one to receive a nice pat down from security similar to a frisking from an officer :) Then it's onto the plane to locate your seat which hopefully isn't lodged between two very large people. Okay so it does sound like a negative experience, but it's not the worst. It is certainly a lot faster than driving! And you get to see others in a light you don't normally have! Yes flying is enlightening.
Seriously though, I miss my family and it's sad it is so far and few that we get to see them! I'm looking forward to visiting and meeting the 'new members'-my parents animals they have adopted. I'm looking forward to Mom's cooking, Laura making me laugh, Dad picking on me :) and just normal events in the household. I know Jonah is hoping to see some snow too, and looking at the old telephone booth my dad has stored in the barn, perhaps to think of some antic to getting it home to our little abode...
It will be wonderful to be in the country again, it may be the last time in that old house, at least Lord willing if it is to be sold in the future (which I know mom and dad would love).
So I plan to really enjoy the time with family because memories are more and more precious the older I get. And as far as airfare goes, yeah it's worth it.

No comments: