Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Classes

It's been a busy couple of weeks for us. Our Bradley (birthing) class we've been taking has been on an accelerated schedule because our instructor has an unplanned surgery on March 1. The good news is we get all 12 sessions of our class done earlier, the bad news is we've been busy at class 3 times a week. But it's not really bad news, just keepin' us busy. We have really really enjoyed them too. I don't know why more couples don't take Bradley. I know having a natural birth is like a bad word to some people, but the classes have been the most informative and interesting thing....I couldn't possibly have learned all of it by reading a few books or talking with friends. I think just knowing about the pros and cons to all the procedures and things that happen in labor and at the hospital has given us a peace about everything. Giving birth is no small task and it's such a fearful thing to a lot of women, which is why they schedule a c-section automatically or don't even consider going drugless.
I'm not closing my mind to natural vs. medicated, I understand that circumstances arise that may require an epidural or a c-section. But my own personal decision leaves me with a peace. I think the greatest mistake we make going into the hospital is not being informed and just leaving it up to the medical staff to make the best decision. When it comes to your own family I think you should try to learn as much as you can.
Granted this comes with prayer and careful consideration, since some people get so overwhelmed at all the info out there. This class helped us narrow down and focus on what we needed to. It's amazing how many websites, magazines, books- and advice from other moms can make your head spin.
So we are on our last classes now and it's kind of sad. It's been fun getting to know the other couples that are going through the same experience and talking with them and sharing the same fears or doubts.
I do hope to stay in touch with them as they go through their own birth stories. I think we have found some new friends.
It's a journey, going through a pregnancy. Our vocabulary has already changed, and we are familiar with things we never talked about before- like onesies, safety ratings on carseats, latching on, first stage, transition, second stage, hep-lock, intermittent monitoring, boppies, slings, ultimate crib sheet, receiving blankets...and the list goes on.
I can look back and see how much we've learned in these 6 months, and we've 3 more to go! I am so thankful God allows us this time period to learn and grow together and that we don't just have a baby in a week's time. I'm having so much fun learning about things, and it only makes me more excited to meet this little boy who's been kicking and twisting around. I just want to say- "We are learning these things for you little guy!"

1 comment:

Dawn said...

It is such an exciting time. We enjoyed our classes too albiet one of them was boring but very helpful information. Really pay attention when they teach you how to swaddle.

It's good that you know how you want your delivery to go but also good that you are open if something were to arise. I had planned on all natural as well, I figure my sister did it twice I could do it. Well, an epidural was ordered after 34 hours into labor and thankfully since I had a 10 lb baby naturally. God knew what was best for my body. :)

All my fellow preggars will be in my prayers for safe, healthy deliveries.